OT - Vint Cerf joins Google

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Sep 12 04:30:11 UTC 2005

The last figure that I remember, very impressive, was in April 2004, when
the estimated number of hosts using 6to4 on Windows hosts was calculated as
100.000.000 (extrapolated from measurements). This is not including hosts
with have native support or use other transition mechanism such as
configured tunnels, ISATAP, 6over4, or Teredo (behind NAT).

We notice in our web servers (which are dual stack), incredible amounts of
IPv6 traffic, increasing month by month.

Other applications which already use IPv6 are SMTP, SSH, News, BitTorrent
and Microsoft Peer Name Resolution Protocol.

Do you want to guess what will happen with Vista, which comes with IPv6
enabled by default ?

Regards,
Jordi

> De: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol at JustThe.net>
> Responder a: <owner-nanog at merit.edu>
> Fecha: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:16:09 -0400 (EDT)
> Para: <nanog at nanog.org>
> Asunto: Re: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google
>

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>

>> I was thinking yesterday that IPv6 evangelization is a good reason,
>> specially when recalling that Google asked for a prefix some time ago
>> (http://www.ipv6tf.org/news/newsroom.php?id=1001) and something is probably
>> being baked there ?
>
> So is the idea that Google adopts IPv6 and then, seeing that a large,
> well-trafficked(sp?) website is actually using the technology, lots of
> service providers and smaller sites follow suit?
>
> How widespread *is* IPv6 adoption, anyhow?
>
> --
> Steve Sobol, Professional Geek   888-480-4638   PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
> Company website: http://JustThe.net/
> Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
> E: sjsobol at JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Information available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com