Katrina Network Damage Report

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 12 02:23:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:32:36 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian said:

> On 12/09/05, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> > Drop me a line when your botnet finishes scanning 3FFE:0000::/16 and moves
> > on to 2001:xxxx::
>
> It is a v6 botnet - so a correspondingly larger number of infected
> hosts, and larger botnet size
> If it is your argument that scanning just won't scale on a botnet,
> anything can be made to scale if you throw sufficient resources that
> aren't your own - botted toasters, like i said - at it

A /48 is 80 bits of address.  1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 addresses.
Even at a million packets/second (which even Joe Sixpack will quite likely
notice until such time as the Linksys router you get at Walmart does 1M pps),
that's still 38,334,786,263 years of scanning.  Of course, that's about
20 billion years after the Sun runs out of hydrogen and goes red giant and
incinerates the planet....

Now how big a pile of toasters were you planning to use?