Lack of addresses outside US myth, was: Katrina Network Damage Report

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun Sep 11 18:43:08 UTC 2005

On 11-sep-2005, at 20:26, Alan Spicer wrote:

> some countries other than the US are severely starved for IP
> addresses.

Please point me to the RIR policies that say that organizations in
the US that don't have address space get it, while the same request
from a non-US organization is denied.

Or, how a US organization that doesn't have address space can get it
other than from their ISP or regional internet registry.

> Bellsouth.net isn't offering IPv6 which is crazy they should talk
> to google I guess. So where is IP6 being done? I heard in mobile -
> cellular data?

If you want IPv6, it's generally easier to use a tunneling mechanism
rather than wait for your ISP to deploy native IPv6. Two important
reasons why large outfits like Bellsouth aren't doing IPv6 right now
is that their customers can't use it anyway because cheap residential
gateways don't support it, and in a large network even an
insignificant change costs a lot of money.