Multi-6 [WAS: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

David Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Sun Sep 11 16:51:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sep 11, 2005, at 12:52 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> This says that although there are 170k prefixes on the Internet,
> there are
> only 20k entities who actually need to announce IP space. There is
> only
> one explanation for such a large difference (8.5x) between these two
> numbers, namely that people who are announcing IP space need multiple
> blocks in order to accomodate their needs.

This is an interesting assertion.  I thought the majority of
announced prefixes was due to folks punching holes in their registry
allocated blocks in order to do traffic engineering of one form of
another (multi-homing being a form of traffic engineering).

Can you point at the data which backs up your assertion (I'm not
disputing it, just a curious)?

Thanks,
-drc