Multi-6 [WAS: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Sep 11 04:32:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> Content providers and other large business, without who's funds the Internet
> would fail, have a right not to be tied to a single provider.  And while I

Giving each entity who wants to multihome an AS of their own and own
address block, doesn't scale. Think this in the way of each home in the
world being multihomed, it just doesn't scale.

IPv6 solved the addressing problem, not the routing problem, in the
current model. Let's try to fix the routing problem NOW instead of 5-10
years down the road.

The "shimming" model is a way to solve this by the endsystems knowing
about multihoming, instead of the network. I personally think this is a
better idea and scales much better. Let's have the network moving packets
as its primary goal, not solving "how do I reach this prefix" equations.

<http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/shim6-charter.html>

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se