OT - Vint Cerf joins Google

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Sat Sep 10 03:12:22 UTC 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

>> However there is a difference between company becoming LIR and becoming
>> member of ARIN and paying annual membership fee (based on network size) and
>> company applying for single IPv6 assignment (as per 2005-1) and not having
>> to pay membership fee then (only one-time fee for assignment) and not being
>> able to participate at ARIN as a member.
>
> 	Tho from what I have read of 2005-1 this requires a AS .

Correct. We only want RIR assigned ip blocks to those who multihome,
i.e. such blocks would be expected to be in global BGP routing table.

> That requires a memebership unless there is some loophole around
> that I have not seen ?

No, ASN assignent does provide you with ARIN membership. You do pay
annual maintaince fee to ARIN (fairly small at $100/year) though.

> 	Can you site the section in 2005-1 that allows an entity to
> 	pay the onetime fee & not have to pay the yearly fee ?

With IPv4 end-user organization that qualifies for > /20 asks ARIN to have
that assigned instead of asking its ISP. Such organization then pays one
time fee listed in http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html
as "IPv4 Assignments, Initial Assignment Fee" which is as an example
is $2,250 for /19 and /20. The organization would then pay annual
database maintanance fee of $100/year (its a per organization fee,
that does not change no matter how many ASNs or ip block are assigned
to that organization in the future).

For ip blocks allocated to ISPs by ARIN, the ISP pays $2250/year
(for /20 and /19) and this fee depends on size of allocated ip space.

I'm not yet entirely sure how that would be for IPv6 because direct
assignent policies just don't exist in any real way for IPv6 (except
special cases of micro-allocations), so basicly those who got IPv6
space from ARIN are all considered LIRs and pay annual fee for that
block. It may stay in similar way or we may end up changing it to
something like it is with IPv4 - I suppose this is something that is
to be discussed as part of ARIN public policy development process.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net