OT - Vint Cerf joins Google

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Sat Sep 10 01:34:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Daniel Golding wrote:

> Getting back on-topic - how can this be? I thought only service providers
> (with downstream customers) could get PI v6 space. Isn't this what policy
> proposal 2005-1 is about? Can someone (from ARIN?) explain the current
> policy?

Its my understanding that large company (or large university) can
become LIR too - they'd have to show that they have complex network
infrastructure with multiple semi-independent departments and/or
subsidiaries with main company's IT department serving as network
provider for those units.

However there is a difference between company becoming LIR and becoming
member of ARIN and paying annual membership fee (based on network size)
and company applying for single IPv6 assignment (as per 2005-1) and not
having to pay membership fee then (only one-time fee for assignment) and
not being able to participate at ARIN as a member.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net