Opinions wanted re blog-style NANOG list content

Eric Germann ekgermann at cctec.com
Thu Sep 8 12:31:32 UTC 2005

For the present, not the future, we've been experimenting with doing this
for a while and the large scale scalability issues in a blog with 86000+
posts in it.

See http://blogs.semperen.com/nblog (RSS at
http://blogs.semperen.com/nblog/feed)

This is cached in a 10 minute interval so response time may appear to have
a high variance.

FWIW, there are considerable issues in tuning current blogging software
for handling the number of posts in the historical NANOG forum, mostly
because "normal" blogs allow one to get away with very sloppy SQL queries,
joins, grouping, etc without.  They perform well with several hundred
posts.  They don't with 86000+.  We restructured a lot of the queries to
improve performance and it is still a work in progress.  With that said,
use at your own risk and it may be unavailable from time to time as we
continue to evolve it.

I put this on the main list so those that want to read via RSS are at
least aware there is an RSS version available.

Part of my motivation for doing this is I was tired of everyone asking
"can you remove this post, I really didn't mean that", etc.  At least now,
they can find the post and comment on it.

When performance is where I like it, I want to add more NOG lists and
operationally relevant mailing lists.

Take a look if you like, but be gentle.  It's a work in progress.

Eric
ekgermann at cctec.com