Correct inclusion of rwhois info in WHOIS server output?

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Wed Sep 7 21:29:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Albert Meyer wrote:

> 1. Does anyone agree that the present lack of rwhois server information in the
> initial WHOIS response for SWIPped blocks is a problem?

I think the real problem here is that jwhois is preferring ARIN's whois
service rather than their rwhois service, because the human-readable whois
output looks nicer.  Oh, and another possibility is that for a very long
time, ARIN's rwhois server was badly borken and just redirected back to IANA
(oops!).  (It appears to be working now as of this writing.)

If jwhois instead understood rwhois protocol (it does not currently), it
would have no problem, because ARIN has referrals all the way down to you
for the network you posted (65.59.252.x).  That is, of course, the whole
point of using the structured rwhois protocol in the first place.  :)