SWIP and Rwhois in the Real World

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Sep 7 10:04:43 UTC 2005

> Looking for one that is mostly or fully put together, or a cookbook to
> assemble one from parts (i.e. MySQL, PHP, Apache, 3 rubber bands, 2
> gallons of perl, etc...).

ARIN themselves are happy to accept your database in
various formats such as CSV files.

LDAP was designed to allow queries to a hierarchical
database and ARIN could allow this if people were willing
to vote for it at an ARIN meeting. At least one
company has built their own rwhois server as a shim
over top of an LDAP server.

This type of database query could also be supported
by means of a standard HTTP GET query like hundreds
of thousands of other web applications. Then we could
put together an rwhois server in a day or two using
our favourite web applications toolkit.

The rwhois protocol is ancient and completely uneccessary.

The rwhois service *IS* necessary and if it were implemented
with some kind of standard modern toolset, then it would
be widely deployed, correctly deployed and kept up to
date.

Please do not confuse the service with either the ancient
and creaking server implementation or the unecessarily specific
database query protocol.