Will Katrina aid sap 9/11 funds?

fergdawg at netzero.net fergdawg at netzero.net
Wed Sep 7 05:12:29 UTC 2005

This story was sent to you by: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)

--------------------
Will Katrina aid sap 9/11 funds?
--------------------

BY DAN JANISON
STAFF WRITER

September 7, 2005

The catastrophe down South not only overshadows the latest commemoration of the 2001 terrorist attacks but threatens funding for at least one 9/11-related project in the city.

One source of concern is the ability of the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation to launch a planned nationwide fundraising campaign while tens of thousands of Americans are suddenly dispossessed.

Through Web-site solicitations and corporate donations, the foundation has been aiming to raise $500 million through a campaign to be launched this week.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, in a news conference at Ground Zero Tuesday, as well as other officials speaking privately, said the effort will continue. But all acknowledged the competing concerns.

"They certainly have a long ways to go, and yes ... there are always conflicting demands on the private sector to come up with a lot of moneys for a lot of worthy things," he said. "This is one of those worthy things, and I hope people will consider it."

"We're confident that over the long term, people from across the nation will also help us to build the memorial," said Lynn Rasic, foundation spokeswoman.

Bloomberg and others were more upbeat about big capital improvements already planned for lower Manhattan. One question mark continues to be the $2-billion rail project to Kennedy Airport in Queens.

"I think with federal moneys you never have it until you cash the check," he said. "But I think the commitment is there, and I'm confident we'll be able to go ahead and do that."

The rail link and the PATH train connection to New Jersey -- for which groundbreaking was held yesterday -- are funded through separate federal financing streams, he noted.

Bloomberg said he's "reasonably confident" that both projects will proceed.

The impact of Hurricane Katrina kept one prominent speaker after another at Tuesday's PATH groundbreaking referring to the devastation along the Gulf of Mexico.

Sen. Hillary Clinton spoke in some detail of the devastation there and recalled how "America rallied to our side" in New York. Sen. Charles Schumer said the rebuilding under way in Manhattan should be a beacon of hope for those in the South.

Staff writer Pradnya Joshi contributed to this story.

Copyright (c) 2005, Newsday, Inc.

This article originally appeared at:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/nyc-wtc0907,0,5932746.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

Visit Newsday online at http://www.newsday.com