SWIP and Rwhois in the Real World

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Wed Sep 7 02:22:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Andrew - Supernews wrote:
>  william> The above line is as clear as it gets (if the other two
>  william> mentions that data is to be made available to public is not
>  william> enough), so there this argument that rwhois should be made
>  william> available only to ARIN is now against ARIN's policies and
>  william> whoever you know who is still making it should be pointed to
>  william> URL I listed.
>
> NetRange:   4.0.0.0 - 4.255.255.255
> ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.level3.net:4321
>
> % telnet rwhois.level3.net 4321
> Trying 209.244.1.179...
> telnet: connect to address 209.244.1.179: Operation timed out
>
> Doesn't seem to have made much difference yet...

This isn't the only case... There has been a rash of spammer netblock
assignments which have rwhois as their only method of 'swip'... never can
you get to the rwhois server, sometimes it's not even properly in DNS :(

(I should note that not only spammers I've seen doing this, many, many,
many folks also have poorly configured/not-working rwhois servers :( )

-Chris