SWIP and Rwhois in the Real World

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Sep 6 21:15:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Steve Gibbard wrote:

> Sometimes, they've gone on to repeat the lack of documentation followed by a
> mad scramble a time or two, but the lesson generally gets learned eventually.

Agreed.  That sort of record-keeping seems to come over time as part of
the evolution of an ISP from the small start-up or mom-and-pop phase where
such records are often cobbled together.  Deploying good provisioning
systems to tie things like IP addresses assigned to customers to an
actual customer record and so forth usually come later in an ISP's
evolution.

I've seen some smaller ISPs that really had their act together re: record
keeping, but way more who didn't.

jms