level3.net in Chicago - high packet loss?!?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 6 16:53:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 10:39:12AM -0400, Adam Rothschild wrote:
> On 2005-09-06-10:25:28, Network Fortius <netfortius at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And how exactly would you interpret the number returned by net_loss
> > (int), in a column called "LOSS", in reference to reachability of a
> > "hop" between two end points [...]
>
> I'd interpret it to mean you're hitting a control plane policer or
> somesuch, with no actual bearing on end-to-end performance, judging
> from the diagnostic output you've graciously provided us with.
>
> I find myself giving this lecture several times a week to random
> "gamer" customers upset that intermediary routers don't reply to their
> pings at full line rate; I'd expect slightly better critical thinking
> skills from the posters on this list, but I've been wrong before. :)

And yet, his client had a problem, with that link, and did not have a
problem with some other link, which, presumably, did *not* show that
indication.

Correlation does not imply causation, given, but it's certainly a
datapoint.

Best Practices of wide-area diagnosis, anyone?

Cheers,
-- jra
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |          |            '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    http://bestpractices.wikicities.com    +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me