Katrina impact on US internet backbone -- analysis

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Sep 5 03:50:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 02:09:50AM +0000, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

> I'd  be interested in what the curmudgeons on the
> list think about this:
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2005/09/04/katrina_impact_on_us.html

As the chief crumudgeon of the day I guess I'll take a stab at that one.

Personally, I think what I've always thought:

* Internet2 is a glorified sandbox for college kids, not the Internet.
* Boingboing is not a source of actual networking news.
* Apparently neither is NANOG these days.

And now for some actual technical content (some people may want to avert
their eyes):

FWIW we have a wave running between Atlanta and Houston on Global Crossing
which has not blinked once, since their express ring on that path bypasses
New Orleans completely (only their Florida ring passes through NO). Level
3's only path through New Orleans is also off of their Florida ring, looks
like they have an Atlanta->Dallas route that is decidedly non-costal which
would probably be shorter for reaching Houston anyways. WCG's
Atlanta->Houston route seems to be the same as GX, bypassing New Orleans
completely, and only passing through it for the Florida ring. This would
probably explain why we've heard so little about non-regional impact for
the majority of users.

Anyone want to take a stab as to what vendor the Internet2 guys are using?