New Orleans Comm Needs

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Sun Sep 4 05:16:06 UTC 2005

At 7:05 AM -0400 9/3/05, Jerry Dixon wrote:
>I don't know how many of you have a Ham license but see
>below:
>
>In talking with communication providers in the region they
>just now got satellite phones and in process of assessing
>and repairing communication lines for New Orleans.  They're
>still somewhat challenged with comms including at shelters.
>See the request below from ARRL.
>
>There is an HF net setup and efforts under way by NCS down
>there.
>
>-Jerry

For what it's worth for possible antenna alternatives, I was just
reminded by a military friend that Army and National Guard field
artillery units normally have a generous supply of good-sized
balloons for meteorological sensors. While the deploying artillery
units wouldn't normally take these to a disaster area, they could be
asked to bring them along if these might be useful in RF
communications.