What happened to root-server serial number?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Sep 2 18:35:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:07:54AM -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
> >  why do you care?
>
> because root server status is one measure of internet
> infrastructure status and stability.

	yes it is...  and having hundreds/thousands of
	folks checking has its own set of issues.
	I note that Peter was kind enough to show that
	all the root servers he was able to reach - AGREED -
	on the serial number they were using.

> why do you want to imply that caring that a root
> server does not respond is inappropriate?

	does not respond from where?  after all,
	one does not have to reach -all- the root servers.
	Getting to one is sufficent.

	that said, Peter has his own "root-servers" and so
	my question to him was why he should care about other
	folks root servers.