Tidbit from DirectNIC

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Fri Sep 2 15:54:10 UTC 2005

on Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 04:44:49PM +0100, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> >From downtown New Orleans...
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/
>
> -----snip-----
> Fox News is reporting that there is an operation underway to refill
> chillers at the Bell South building down the street to keep phone service
> available to much of the southeast United States. That is apparently where
> all the firetrucks are going to in the area, in case you were wondering.
> -----snip-----
>
> It is interesting to note that it is possible to bring in diesel and water
> to resupply BellSouth yet it is impossible to bring in water and food for
> the residents, not to mention a fleet of small boats that could have
> prevented thousands from dying trapped inside their attics.

1) potable water is probably somewhat different from the water used in
   chillers or fire trucks

2) phone service is, IMHO, one helpful pre-requisite to providing
   emergency care and disaster relief

3) the pictures I've been seeing have been full of boats, many of them
   thrown up on land a few hundred feet from their berths

Not saying that the utter failure of DHS as an organization isn't on
evidence here. Just saying that it's one thing to feed and water a plant
and quite another to feed and water a human being, let alone tens of
thousands of them.

antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/