Replacing PSTN with VoIP wise? Was Re: Phone networks struggle in Hurricane Katrina's wake

Scott @ .net shoffman at vectorlink.net
Fri Sep 2 11:40:53 UTC 2005

SMS is all IP these days.  Look at mBlox for more data.  Others like them.
The real key to SMS (and IP) that makes VoIP and PSTN so different is SMS
does not need to be real time, and it does not have to be in order (i.e.
packet 2 does not have to come after packet 3 etc.....).  It delivers
whatever data it can when it can....  Thus extremely low bandwidth required
(1 bit per second would take a long time to get the message through, but it
would make it)