P2P Darknets to eclipse bandwidth management?

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Fri Sep 2 04:36:39 UTC 2005

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

>Overlooking the point that this kind of smells like a pitch for
>Staselog, I'd be curious to hear of this is an issue on ISP
>bandwidth management radar... or already is...

I've been asked this question repeatedly almost as long as we've had the
traffic engineering / classification capabilities in our product. The
great change towards encrypted p2p protocols has always been "just
moments away" for the last three years. In this time we've seen the
predominant p2p protocol to change from Kazaa to eDonkey, from eDonkey
to DirectConnect and from there, to BitTorrent. The fraction of traffic
classified as "other" has been 2-4% of total since we shipped.

Obviously the fact that the world has not changed in the past is no
proof that it will not in the future. If it does towards increased
privacy and encryption, I'm all for the change.

Pete