now it's really serious in New Orleans

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Sep 1 21:04:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 01:13:48PM -0400, Christopher Woodfield wrote:
> While I'm not in a position to do this myself, as much as I would
> like to, I'm wondering if any of the relief organizations that are
> mobilizing down there are in need of volunteer IT/networking clue and
> hands setting up C&C infrastructure and whatnot. If anyone knows who
> the appropriate folks to contact if you're in a position to help out,
> even if it's just over the long weekend, I would recommend posting here.

I have noticed that the Red Cross is now looking for any vaguely
disciplined people whom to train and send down there.  There is also a
Red Cross IT group.  Let me see ... the answer I'm given is, go to your
local Red Cross Chapter, sign up to be in the Disaster Services Human
Resources (DSHR) program, tell them your only skill is in IT [because
95% of the people going down there RIGHT NOW will be doing Mass Care].
And hope that the ARC DS people who know whom to contact about this
haven't already left for Mississippi.  [I used to have a contact in the
Regional Headquarters, but there isn't a Regional Headquarters any more,
and he's probably down in the thick of things right now.]

--
Joe Yao