redcross.org certificate problems with Akamai

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 1 20:00:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:47:30PM -0400, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> > The donations page is Akamaized, and the certificate says
> > "a248.e.akamai.net" instead of "www.redcross.org".
> >
> > I have the certificate signature available off-line.
>
> Which part of the transaction does this occur at? Do you have a
> specific URL? All of the VeriSign security seals are reporting
> known and trusted host and the certs are matching.
>
> They appear to be outsourcing their payment processing to
> Convio. It's all matching up.

I clicked on the "Donate NOW" box on the front page, and it happened
during the redirect.  I didn't get to see that they'd switched to
Convio at that point, because I wanted to keep the detail around, and
because hanging on that dialog suspends *all* of firefox's threads.

I finally released it, and I see that it's working OK now; I also see
that they switched that processing to Convio, and perhaps I got caught
in an out-of-phase moment.

I suppose I know better than to assume it's really broken until it
breaks three times in fifteen minutes (my own rule, ironically).

Sorry, all.

Cheers,
-- jra
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |          |            '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    http://bestpractices.wikicities.com    +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me