Katrina: directNIC Stays Online - Blog + Images

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Sep 1 16:59:46 UTC 2005

At 2:13 AM -0700 9/1/05, Dan Hollis wrote:
>Some rescue services are refusing to enter due to armed thugs roaming the streets with ak47 assault rifles, carjacking, mugging and murdering people.
>Does not sound like a place any sane person would choose to go to. I don't think "risking your life to protect your employer's property" is on the job description...

While there aren't a lot of systems that are worth the risk, they definitely do exist -
think air traffic control, hospital power generation, emergency dispatch, and relief
effort coordination.   Companies suffer when they're offline, but in the above cases,
people can die.   The good news is these systems are usually better equipped and
protected than the local data center...

/John