Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Thu Oct 27 17:15:04 UTC 2005

If this 500K routes come from upstream, it is just _default_ so can be
installed instantly if configuration is correct.

If this 500K routes are from the peer, you switch (in reality) 10 - 20%, so
it is simpler anyway.

Even if it is multihome customer, there is not any need in _fast_
installation for these 500K routes. You just switch from one
provider to another _some_ of the routes - if it takes 1 minute, nothing
wrong happen.

Then, calculate:
500K routes, say 32 bytes/route (if not compressed by some way), 16MB.
T1 link, 100K/second, 160 seconds, 3 minutes.
100Mbit link, 10MB/second, 2 seconds.

T1 wil not be suitable for full routing of course, so what?

Just agaion - there are many tricks todo things right, out of theoretics of
IPv6 commitees.