Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Tue Oct 25 17:53:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:28:05 -0000, "Christopher L. Morrow" said:
> > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Blaine Christian wrote:
> > > Yea, but that's just me pinging everything and google and yahoo
> > > fighting over who has the most complete list of x rated sites.
> >
> > and this probably depends greatly on the network, user-population,
> > business involved. Is it even a metric worth tracking?
>
> It's a fight for eyeballs, isn't it?  Routing table hits caused by spidering
> from search engines will give a good indication of what percent of the

oops, I should have not replied to Blaine/Tony but directly to tony's
message :( The real question was:

"If the percentage of hits is dependent on 'user population', 'business',
'network' is it even worth metricing for the purpose of design of the
device/protocol?"

Unless of course you want a 'sport' and 'offroad' switch on your router :)