ICANN and Verisign settle over SiteFinder

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Oct 25 12:53:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Florian Weimer wrote:

>> http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8DEL2TO7.htm?
>> campaign_id=apn_tech_down&chan=tc
>
> I don't understand what VeriSign receives in return for their kowtow
> (under the agreement, they basically waive any right to criticize
> ICANN's role).

They get to continue to be .COM registry forever as new agreement
would extend to 2012 and then automatically extended further without
formal process as it happened recently for .NET. They also are going
to be able to increase registry fees for .COM by 7% per year which to
put it in perspective can potentially be $2 increase 4 years from now.

> Two possible explanations:

2+2=5, right? :)

--
William Leibzon