Level3 problems

Matt Ghali matt at snark.net
Mon Oct 24 18:44:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Gary Hale wrote:

  Hmmm ... I suppose I would prefer this community not be made an
  explicit source of information for a reporter. Implicitly, if
  reporters must hang off this thread, they should be able to
  discern impact from perspective given here. However, if questions
  like the one(s) asked below became "standard" on this thread, then
  soon the function of the group slants to something other than a
  forum to aid (each other) in the proper "management" of the
  affairs of Network Operators ... and may morph into something far
  less useful.

Give me a break. This list becoming "less useful"?!
Alert the press! (or maybe not, according to you)

Traditionally, there has been a real knowledge gap between
technology journalists and network operators. This has the negative
effect of mainstream media presenting incorrect and/or skewed
information regarding not only technical issues, but larger industry
issues (including things like l3/cogent).

Without clued contacts, journalists are forced to glean their
information from sources like vendor press releases and sales
representatives.

Is that how you'd like the public's window into the industry
colored? Do you really think that VendorSpeak really needs any more
legitimizing?

matto

              The only thing necessary for the triumph
              of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke