ADSL multiplexing (bonding)

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Oct 24 09:42:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Gregory Edigarov wrote:

> Let's think I will answer "yes"  to the questions one at a time. :-)
> I do not have the formal task description yet,  so I am  merely looking for
> opinions on options available,
> so I could start  making decisions.

If you have direct connection (multiple ones) between two routers using
L2 then upper layer protocols (which I'll assume to be ip) can be routed
easily - simply add Loopback interface to each device and multiple static
routes to the other side's loopback pointing to the interface itself.
(think of the way you would do ip routing for parallel connections if you
could not do ethercnannel but had multiple ethernet connections). You can
also just use good routing protocol that can take care of load-balancing
of traffic across parallel paths such as OSPF or IEGRP or possibly do MPLS
(although it is probably an overkill).

Now the question would be which device on the user side can be used
for terminating multiple dsl lines. From cisco you could use 2600
or 3600 router with several DSL WIC cards, see
  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a0080088713.html)
Other manufactures may well have their own boxes and cards that do
the same. You can (I probabl would...) try to build your own box
with linux or bsd as both support range of dsl cards.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net