What is multihoming was (design of a real routing v. endpoint id seperation)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Oct 24 09:35:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 02:24 -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
<SNIP>
> 3.	Most multihoming today is done using BGP, but, many other
> 	solutions exist with various tradeoffs.  In V6, there is
> 	currently only one known (BGP) and one proposed, but,
> 	unimplemented (Shim6) solution under active consideration
> 	by IETF. (this may be untrue, but, it seems to be the
> 	common perception even if not reality).

As for "multihoming" in the sense that one wants redundancy, getting two
uplinks to the same ISP, or what I have done a couple of times already,
multiple tunnels between 2 sites (eg 2 local + 2 remote) and running
BGP/OSPF/RIP/VRRP/whatever using (private) ASN's and just providing a
default to the upstream network and them announcing their /48 works
perfectly fine.

The multihoming that people here seem to want though is the Provider
Independent one, and that sort of automatically implies some routing
method: read BGP.

Greets,
 Jeroen