Level3 Question

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 24 04:17:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> Do we *really* want to do anything to encourage a higher burn rate of AS numbers
> before we've deployed 32-bit AS number support?

Consider it a looming incentive to do so.

Fundamently, if economic decisions create holes in the routing
infrastucture, it seems likely if not inevitable that the people who are
adversly affected will plug the hole from their perspective before it
affects their bottom line. Obviously it has a cost both locally and
globally, but a few more people tune their risk mangement model
(or decide they need one) everytime this happens.

joelja

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu