multi homing pressure

Ejay Hire ejay.hire at isdn.net
Fri Oct 21 16:30:21 UTC 2005

If only I'd had the foresight to configure the all of the
customers I've setup on BGP with Bogon filters, and more
complex routing policies than defaults + provider customer
routes, then I would have made mountains of recurring
revenue from this "maintenance", and I would be reading this
thread in my mountain cabin with beleaguered amusement.

Alas, I met the customers requirement, it has to "just
work"... And it does.

(and yes, on the network I administer at my day job, I
bogon/rpf filter and aggressively traffic engineer.)

-ejay

On
> Behalf Of Mark Radabaugh
> Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:31 PM
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: multi homing pressure
>

> John Payne wrote:
>

> > Hrm, people keep saying that BGP is hard and takes time.
> >
> > As well as my end-user-facing network responsibilities,
I also have
> > corporate network responsibilities here.  All of our
corporate hub
> > locations are multi-homed (or soon will be)... and I
honestly can't
> > remember the last time I made any changes (besides IOS
upgrades) to
> > BGP configs for the 2 hubs in the US.  (We're moving
physical
> > locations in the "international" hubs and taking new
providers, so
> > I'm discounting those changes as you'd have similar
changes in a
> > single homed statically routed move).
> >
> > If you don't have multihoming requirements other than
availability
> > then it really can be fire and forget.
>
> Except for those pesky bogon filters.... which
corporations