The ORIGIN option on BGP - what is it for?

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Fri Oct 21 12:37:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 10:34:35PM -0700, Peter Boothe wrote:

> So my question is:  What do people use ORIGIN: EGP vs ORIGIN: IGP to
> distinguish?  What makes a route EGP vs. IGP to you?

Origin is a mandatory transitive attribute which is being used in the
BGP decision algorithm.

If you have a prefix with the same localpref and aspath-length, the
decision will be made based on the lowest origin-value. IGP wins over
EGP, EGP wins over incomplete. You might use it to influence your
inbound traffic.

--
Sabri

please do not throw salami pizza away