/24 multihoming issue

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Fri Oct 21 01:56:49 UTC 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>>> the convention is that, if 19094 is a customer of
>>> 7018, then it will always prefer it.
>>>

> and it was confirmed that this is the case for the
> prefix in question
>

>> And this is a good reason not to cross "tiers" of your
>> transit providers.  Either have both "transit free" or
>> both should have transit.
>>

> why?  when it get up to tier-1s it will be the same, the
> one(s) who heard it from customers will prefer the
> customers.
>
> and tier-Ns should be preferring customer routes as well;
> see discussion here between vaf, asp, and me in about '96.

slipping back into the tier terminology which i was trying to avoid...

it's only a problem if you want to do inbound traffic engineering.
If the tier 2 is well connected to tier 1s (for example Internap),
it's typically going to get more inbound traffic than the tier 1
connection because the tier 2 is preferred as a customer in a bunch
of tier 1s.