multi homing pressure

David Andersen dga+ at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 20 18:32:07 UTC 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 5:37 AM, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>>> http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/ron/ronweb/#code
>>>
>>> (Part of my thesis work,
>>>

>> Hehe, google for "vixie ifdefault".
>>

> Paul's use of Squid is mentioned in this NANOG
> posting:
> http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/historical/9702/msg00431.html
> Here are the notes from the SF NANOG presentation:
> http://www.academ.com/nanog/feb1997/multihoming.html

Right.  Though the details are very sparse, this is stock Squid
running in accelerator mode.  The solution I described is quite
different (for one, it's normal-mode squid for _outbound_ requests,
and second, it actually probes the links to see if they're working).

A commercial solution that looks a lot more like the stuff we built
are products by Stonesoft ("Multi-Link Technology") and Fatpipe
("Redundant Array of Independent Lines").  RadWare's "LinkProof" has
a similar style, though the actual technique they use is more link-
centric instead of path-centric.

   -Dave