multi homing pressure

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Oct 19 17:36:38 UTC 2005

At 11:59 AM 19/10/2005, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

>tv at duh.org (Todd Vierling) wrote:
>
> > Tier-2s should be given much more credit than they typically are in
> > write-ups like this.  When a customer is single homed to a tier-2 that has
> > multiple tier-1 upstreams, and uses a delegated netblock from the tier-2's
> > aggregations, that means one less ASN and one or more less routes in the
> > global table.
>
>That's the operators' view, but not the customer's.
>The customer wants redundancy.

The customer wants reliability and BGP is not necessarily the way for
them to do it.  Telling a typical corporate IT department with
generalized IT skills (read no large Internetworking experience) to
now become BGP masters will only open up a news ways to disrupt their
network connectivity.  There are better ways to do it as you describe below.

>So we should try to find a way to tell them "Hey, it's mostly Tier-1's
>(or wannabes) that play such games, stick to a trustworthy Tier-2.
>And, hey, btw., connect redundantly to them, so you have line failure
>resiliency and also a competent partner that cares for everything else."

Agreed!

         ---Mike