multi homing pressure

Erik Haagsman erik at we-dare.net
Wed Oct 19 16:03:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 12:03 -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> For the customer with an Internet "mission critical app", being tied
> to a Tier 2 has it's own set of problems, which might actually be
> worse than being tied to a Tier 1.

I think this is largely dependant on the specific topology and
redundancy in the Tier-2's network and the way they provide multiple
uplinks. When done well, with uplinks spread over separate physical
locations, well thought out IP adressing and de-centralised exits from
the Tier-2's network out to multiple Tier-n's, there's usually a benefit
to multi-homed connections to a Tier-2 rather than a Tier-1, with
minimum capacity and pricing being the most important ones.

--
---
Erik Haagsman