Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

Susan Hares skh at nexthop.com
Tue Oct 18 22:05:16 UTC 2005

(cookinjg = cooking) -- ;-)..

Sue

(but you knew that.)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog at merit.edu [mailto:owner-nanog at merit.edu] On Behalf Of
Susan Hares
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:49 PM
To: Tony Li; Andre Oppermann
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: RE: Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

Andre:

Hence my earlier point on #2 - the prefixes in the routing hit one part
of
Moore's law.  The FIB hits another.

Using the compression ("cooking") per router can provide one level of
abstraction [reduction of prefix space] at router.  So cooking down your

Large number of routes to a "minimum" set of routes can provide some
leverage against the prefix growth.

Tony point still stands.  The "cookinjg" way to deal with prefix growth
by
using a compression algorithm for FIB insertion.  Moore's law hits the
security filters, the route filters, and lots more - that may or may-not
be
able to be "cooked".

Sue Hares