And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Tue Oct 18 21:05:12 UTC 2005

Daniel,

> But wasn't that the rationale for originally putting the kitchen
> sink into IPv6, rather than fixing the address length issue?

The stated rationale was to fix the address length issue.

> I think we missed a lot of opportunities.

Amen.

> We're 10 years on, and talking about whether there will need to be
> more than one massive pain of migration, because the kitchen sink
> didn't take into account multihoming.

More generally because we were unwilling to make changes to the
routing architecture.

> Now we're talking about a solution that appear to be an even worse
> Rube Goldberg than token ring source-route bridging.

No one has proposed anything that is as bad as the exponential
traffic explosion caused by explorers.

> Moore will likely have to continue to produce the solution.

What happens if he can't?  Silicon technology *is* topping out.  What
happens to v6 if every single household and business on the planet
decides to multihome?

Tony