Verizon outage in Southern California?

Steve Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Tue Oct 18 20:16:33 UTC 2005

Matthew Black wrote:

> While weather in Southern California may affect your electricity,

...It does, and it's more of an electric utility problem than a weather
problem. :P

> it has only a minor effect in the Long Beach area. Monday evening's
> storm was fairly mild with winds under 10 MPH and less than a half
> an inch of rain overnight. Not what I would consider a heavy storm.

Yeah, I figured the heavy winds might have more to do with any possible
outages than the rain did. Obviously, though, not a big issue in Long Beach...

> Rains do cause telco data problems. When I had dial-up, my maximum
> rate dropeed from about 45K to 37Kbps during and for a day or two
> following rain.

*nod* but that's 56K dialup, which is a crapshoot anyhow. I'd be more
interested in finding out if there were any weather-related issues with
services that are normally more stable than dialup.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek   888-480-4638   PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/