Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Tue Oct 18 18:43:28 UTC 2005

Daniel Senie wrote:

[many interesting hw design approaches that you can buy already deleted]

> I should point out that none of this really is about scalability of the
> routing system of the Internet, it's all about hardware and software
> design to allow the present system to scale. Looking at completely
> different and more scalable routing would require finding a better way
> to do things than the present BGP approach.

I disagree.  By your description there is no problem scaling the current
model to much bigger numbers of prefixes and paths.  Then why not simply
do it???  Apparently there ain't a problem then?

For routing you have to ways: The BGP (DFZ) way or the aggregation (by
whatever arbitrary level/layer divider de jour) way.  If you have third,
different (not just a modification or merge of partial aspects of the
former two) you may be eglible for a Nobel prize in mathematics in a
few decades.  They run behind a bit, you know...

--
Andre