IPv6 daydreams

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Oct 18 15:11:29 UTC 2005

On Oct 17, 2005, at 10:39 PM, Paul Jakma wrote:
>> Wrong issue.  What I'm unhappy about is not the size of the
>> address - you'll notice that I didn't say "make the whole address
>> space smaller."  What I'm unhappy about is the exceedingly sparse
>> allocation policies
> You can allocate to 100% density on the network identifier if you
> want, right down to /64.

I believe the complaint isn't about what _can be_ done, rather what
_is being_ done.

> The host identifier simply is indivisible, and just happens to be
> 64bit.

I've always wondered why they made a single "address" field if the
IPv6 architects really wanted a hard separation between the host
identifier and the network identifer.  Making the "address" a
contiguous set of bits seems to imply that the components of the
"address" can be variable length.

Rgds,
-drc