IPv6 news

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Tue Oct 18 14:22:26 UTC 2005

> > Right, cause phone number portability is up and running for several
sets
> > of prefixes in various regions across the world[1], so there's
> > definitely nothing we can learn from them. ;)
>
> Well, we can learn from them that circuit switched networks are
different
> than packet switched networks.  Beyond that not much.

I disagree. There are many parallels and in many ways the
telephony operators are struggling with the same kinds of
problems that we are. NANPA has forecast that the North
American number plan will be exhausted within 20 years.
Just like the IPv4 address space.

Their plan is to extend the number plan by two digits
using 4-digit area codes and 4 digit central office
codes. Rather like IPv6's extended address length.
The new digits will be introduced at the same time
so that everyone will dial an extra digit at the end
of their existing area code, and another extra digit
at the beginning of their central office code. Today
you would dial (703)227-0660 to reach ARIN's help
desk. After the change you would dial (7030)0227-0660.
Full details here:
http://www.atis.org/inc/docs/finaldocs/020107029.doc

NANPA's website points to more information.
http://www.nanpa.com/index.html

There is also a North American Numbering Council
that meets regularly and has several working groups.
http://www.nanc-chair.org/docs/documents.html

It is foolish to regard people outside the IP
networking industry as inferior. Good ideas can
come from anywhere and we can often understand our
own area of interest much better by comparing and
contrasting with other similar areas of interest.

--Michael Dillon