IPv6 news

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Tue Oct 18 09:29:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, william(at)elan.net wrote:

> I reread this and still don't see how geographical ip address
> allocation is going to work if typical customer connections are
> network-centric

That's a "today's operator" view of customers though. Many customers
view their network as being situated in one or more fixed geographic
locations (not in terms of which provider gives them transit), which
rarely change.

("Road warriors" just connect to HQ or their home site via VPN or
whatever).

> and any large area has number of competitive access providers
> (unless you're fine with multiple providers announcing aggregate
> summary in anycast fashion).

Yep, they'd have to. They'd also have to figure out the billing side
of it for any traffic differentials.

Essentially, when seen globally - the providers would service the
geographic /area/, not the customers.

When seen within this arbitrary area, you'd see routes for each
customer and to which exact provider they'd have to go.

Would also encourage peering generally to occur as close as possible
to the arbitrary areas as possible, one suspects (so the providers
own routing table wouldn't have to carry the "detail" further than
needed).

regards,
Fortune:
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.