And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Tue Oct 18 09:26:11 UTC 2005

> E.g prevously
> announced address-blocks that has disappeared from the global
> routing-table for more than X months should go back to the RIR-pool
> (X<=6).

In RFC 2050 section 3 a)
   the organization has no intention of connecting to
   the Internet-either now or in the future-but it still
   requires a globally unique IP address.  The organization
   should consider using reserved addresses from RFC1918.
   If it is determined this is not possible, they can be
   issued unique (if not Internet routable) IP addresses.

Seems to me that the Internet routing table contents
past and present are irrelevant. Note also that the
so-called Internet routing table contents vary depending
on where you look at it.

In any case, at the ARIN meeting in LA there will be
an Open Policy Hour for people to suggest things that
the RIRs should do. More info here:
http://www.arin.net/ARIN-XVI/agenda/tuesday.html#policy

--Michael Dillon