geo-based routing [Re: IPv6 news]

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Oct 18 06:32:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
>> http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/geov6.txt
>> will be quite of your liking.
>
> Not at all. This proposal is all about allocating addresses
> based on country boundaries and I reject this model. The
> Internet is a network of cities, not countries.  The national
> boundaries are completely random in technical terms, but
> the cities are not random. The cities are where the people
> are, where the railways and roads are, where the channels
> of trade and communication begin and end.

Uhh, I'd say the internet is a network of networks, not a network of
cities. :)

But you bring a good point about railways.  But are there enough
privately-owned railways to make a good analogue?  (This certainly
doesn't apply to roads)  I.e., when a dozen different railway
companies want to provide transport, do each and every one of them
build (parallel) tracks, stations, and trains on each city?  I do not
think so, but I do not know if any sort of "roaming" agreements exist.

Or are you arguing that the basic infra (like the fibers) should be
city/government/etc. controlled so it could be used in more
cost-effective ways by all providers?