And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Mon Oct 17 20:51:25 UTC 2005

Fred,

> If we are able to reduce the routing table size by an order of
> magnitude, I don't see that we have a requirement to fundamentally
> change the routing technology to support it. We may *want* to (and
> yes, I would like to, for various reasons), but that is a different
> assertion.

There is a fundamental difference between a one-time reduction in the
table and a fundamental dissipation of the forces that cause it to
bloat in the first place.  Simply reducing the table as a one-off
only buys you linearly more time.  Eliminating the drivers for bloat
buys you technology generations.

If we're going to put the world thru the pain of change, it seems
that we should do our best to ensure that it never, ever has to
happen again.

Regards,
Tony