IPv6 news

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Mon Oct 17 14:07:47 UTC 2005

man, 17,.10.2005 kl. 14.22 +0200, skrev Jeroen Massar:
> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 01:07 +1300, Simon Lyall wrote:
>
> > My son tells me that is what I want so I setup a payment of $5 per month
> > to him. In 10 minutes from start to finish my house's /54 is "multi-homed",
> > whatever that means.
>
> You cover the payment part, partially. But now the fun parts:

This story may be a lot closer to reality in 2011 than you seem able to
accept. It's a mere illusion given limitations in current (2005)
routing-protocols, but those protocols may also be nothing more than a
distant memory by 2011.

>  - which prefix

Why shouldn't it be his own?

>  - where did you get the prefix

Maybe it's assigned to him?

>  - who says you are you and thus that you are allowed to use
>    that prefix (someone has a working PKI available? :)

The allocating entity should be able to authorise that

>  - routing table size?

Who says everybody has to know about everybody else all the time. Maybe
it's enough to know where to go when you need to get there. (more in
other thread).

>  - is the other end of the possible communication going to
>    be able to reach this prefix?

ditto

>  - will everybody accept you as being the endpoint?

Why not. As long as it is unique.

>  - what about a broken prefix 'upstream'
>    (you just said your primary link goes down, thus it might
>     be a misconfig 'upstream')

Yeah. There will probably be many failure modes in future networks too.

>  - insert various other "2011" stories...

... and get some vision about the future. Don't assume the world will
stop.

//Per