IPv6 news

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Mon Oct 17 13:36:50 UTC 2005

> Many people pick this up and twist it into ~the network has to be
> application agnostic~ and then use this against NATs or firewalls,
> which is simply a misuse of the principle.

Personally, I think that NAT's interference with the
communication between hosts is similar to the way in
which error-detection and retransmission interfere
with realtime voice communication, as described in
Saltzer's end-to-end paper:
http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.txt

It seems that the end-to-end principle is more
of a metaphor for how to look at the design problem
rather than a hard and fast rule.

http://www.postel.org/pipermail/end2end-interest/2002-March/001848.html

--Michael Dillon