IPv6 news

Gregory Edigarov greg at velcom.com
Mon Oct 17 10:42:42 UTC 2005

Just my 5 cents to the  topic:

Don't you all think that IPv6 would not be so neccessary for the very
long time yet, if the IPv4 allocation scheme would be done right from
the very very beginning?
If the allocation policies would be something like the ones for ASn's.
I.e. when you ask for IP space allocation you must be in the need to set
your own routing policies.
In any other cases you should use private network space with only one IP
shown outside the network. Yes, this would be a headache for some
appplications like IP telephony,
but, I don't see any problems in making the _correct_  protocols so they
could work through NAT.

As what I see now is that a very large address blocks are allocated  to
large companies,  what companies do with them? Correct, they ae
installing them as IP's of workstations, when, if IPs
would be treated as a very valuable resource from the beggining, they
would have to use  at max /24 (well, may be 2 or three /24) for access
routers.

When they are proposing  /48 allocation scheme for  IPv6 they  must be
out of their mind, because in case such allocation will be ineffect,
IPv6 address space will end shortly too.

Again, IPv6 is creating more problems then solve. Better solution would
be to freeze IPv4 allocation, then force big IPv4 users to return the
addresses to the "public pool",  and start
allocation from the white piece of paper, doing the things right.

--
With best regards,
	GRED-RIPE