IPv6 news

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Sun Oct 16 15:08:13 UTC 2005

On 16-Oct-2005, at 10:27, John Reilly wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 22:02 -0700, David Conrad wrote:
>
>> I _really_ wish people would stop saying '"unlimited"' or 'almost
>> infinite' when talking about IPv6 address space.  It simply isn't
>> true, even in the theoretical sense, and particularly given how
>> address space is being allocated now.  It also gives many people the
>> wrong impression: that IPv6 addresses will mean every grain of sand
>> in the Universe (or whatever) can have portable address space.
>
> Am I mistaken in thinking that if shim6 (or something like it) did
> exist, that portable address space could be allocated to everyone
> (maybe
> with a different allocation policy?) to be used as (shim6)
> identifiers.

Yes, you're mistaken. The locator identifier is chosen from the
host's pool of upper-layer identifiers.

Many people speculating and asking questions in this thread would do
very well to take a quick read through this high-level description:

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-shim6-arch-00.txt

Note also (as Susan mentioned) the IAB is facilitating a BOF on IPv6
multi-homing in Los Angeles, for those who are planning to attend.

Joe